Thursday, January 24, 2019

What is the deal about Keto?

There is a new revolution if that is what  you want to call it, but people all over the world call it Keto.  It is a new way of eating and thinking about food.  In a nutshell, Keto is about eating very low or no carbohydrates, high fat of the right kind, proteins, green vegetables and if you want to know more, just google it!  I googled it because I saw my daughter in law losing weight and reshaping her whole body by going Keto, and since seeing is believing, I wanted to do it too. 

I have diabetes and so does my husband and when I realized that if I cut way down on my daily carb intake, or cut out my carbs all together in my diet, it could significantly help me get in control of diabetes, and lose weight.  We were all on board, and without much study into Keto, we just cut out most of the carbs we ate in our meals. Did it help?  You are darn tootin it did!  We began to see our blood sugar levels drop down into normal ranges, to the point that we didn't need to be on insullin.  If we took our insullin, we found that we became hypoglycemic, which is essentially too low blood sugar, and we began to feel sick, nauseated, extremely fatigues, and just plain crappy! 

We continue to eat low carbohydrates and do our best to maintain this balance through not eating anything that has flour or sugar in it.  You have to understand, that both of us were raised on Breads, pastas, rice, and sweets of all kinds.  We loved it and actually still do, but we finally get the fact that if we eat those thing, we will have to go back on insullin, and our blood sugar levels will rise.  Those types of foods are also addicting, and it makes it difficult to eat just one.  A handful of M&M's turns into a whole bag by the end of the day.  One sweet roll turns into finishing the entire pan of sweet rolls by the end of the week.  It is an addiction of the worst kind, and the result can be a myriad of health issues.

Eating keto is just a different way to cook, and it isn't icky, it's just different.  You can have breads, but not made from wheat flour.  Almond meal and Coconut flour becomes the replacement because of the low amount of carbs they contain.  Normally I would have stayed away from these foods, because of the calories, but in Keto, calories aren't not what you are counting, its the carbs. There is a learning curb to creating delicious meals this way, and I have also found that my taste buds have changed because if introducing this different but very healthy way of eating. 

There is more to Keto than this little bit of information and practical experience I have provided, but if you have a desire to learn more, google it.  It is all over the internet, Pinterest pins, people are talking about it, Instagram pictures galore of people losing weight on the Keto diet. 

What I want to do now is to share some of the good meals I have created while wanting to get healthy, get in control of my diabetes, and not starve in the process.  A Keto type meal plan has provided me just that.  I have found quite a few good things are happening to me as a result:

  • Weight loss.  So far I have lost almost 20 lbs. For me it's slow, but I see it
  • My stomach is shrinking.  I believe 100% it was the carbohydrates in my diet that made my stomach balloon because when I stopped eating Carbs my stomach began to shrink and flatten.  I'm not there yet, and it will take a while, but it is happening and I am very pleased! The same results are happening with my husband.
  • I am finally getting back some energy.  I use to feel like I wanted to take a nap daily, but now days, the fatigue isn't there, and I can make it through the day, and into the evening til bedtime before feeling tired.  This folks is a miracle.  I have found that now if I can get my 8 hours of sleep nightly, I can make it through the day, and not need a nap.
  • I am completely off my insulin and so is my husband.  If we were to take it, we find ourselves getting hypoglycemic, which is low blood sugar.  By just not having many carbohydrates during the day, we can maintain healthy blood sugar levels.  What a blessing! We are still on Metformin, but we hope one day, we will no longer need that to maintain our health and that diabetes, though we will still have it, will not be something that will take our health and well being down to our graves. We are also staying close to our doctors recommendations, but He continually tells us that what we are doing it helping us, so keep it up.  
  • Lastly, I am learning how to cook some really delicious meals, and as my husband calls them... "Resturaunt quality."  They taste wonderful, are very  healthy for us, use the freshest ingredients, mostly all from Costco, and look so pretty plated!  If I cooked for someone who didn't know my meal was Keto based, they would love and enjoy it as would they for any other meal.  Mine would definitely be healthier.
I will be sharing many of the recipes I come up with and some that I find through other means, and it has been an eye opener to me that most if not all the ingredients can be purchased at Costco.  With careful planning, anyone can utilize the bulk goods that Costco provides, without much if any waste.  This is what I do, and yes it is what I call the $200 store, because I can't get out of there without spending at least that much, but I have learned to use it, and enjoy cooking again with such fresh, good products.  

My next post is one of my favorite Costco product recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment