Thursday, February 7, 2019

Katie's Low Carb Pizza

 

As I have written before, I am not only a Costco Shopper, but I am in the process of changing my food style to Keto.  I don't like to say the "D" word because I have been on so many diets that I hate that word.  I have totally changed the way I look at food, and eat it because it sustains life, and for me, I am eating to lose weight.  I have another very big reason for change, and that is my Diabetes has gotten out of control, and I needed to get my insulin levels back in check.  This change I am making not only has helped me to lose some weight, but lowering my carbohydrates have changed my body so much, I no longer require insulin.  That's right, losing weight and being very low or no carb, stopped me from injecting myself, several times a day with insulin.  Woo hoo!  The same is with my husband and he has not only stopped his insulin, but he isn't taking Metforman anymore either.  BIG changes!!!!


So, I wanted to tell you that tonight's meal was Pizza!  Yep, crust and all and it was very low carb.  I know you are saying, Yeah right, how can pizza crust worth eating, be low carb? I have found that there are many ways to do things, and my whole way of thinking is cooking with the least amount of carbs in my food, as possible. I have been hearing about this crazy dough that is made out of cheeses, that looks like dough, tastes like dough, and guess what folks... It's dough!  It is just a different kind of dough, but this dough recipe is so yummy because combined with all the other yummy things you top your pizza with, it blends to taste so much like regular pizza, you wouldn't know you were eating something different.

My husband has been a Guinnie pig for all my cooking and recipes, and is starting to really enjoy eating low carb.  Tonight was proof positive, as he loved the pizza.  I probably should have not told him what t he ingredients were in the pizza dough, and he would never have known.  My pizza tasted just like thin crust pizza.

Now I must plug Costco, because ALL, yes I said ALL my ingredients were purchased at Costco. Let me share my pizza recipe with you, and you tell me that there is much difference than what regular pizza has for it's ingredients.  I googled Keto Pizza Dough recipe and the following recipe came up from this link.  I always tweek my recipes a little or a lot, but this time, I didn't do much other than doubling the recipe.  If I'm going to go to all the effort to cook, I am going to make it last for at least two meals, which isn't too hard for me because I cook for 2.

So, you can make 2 pizzas with this dough recipe. By the way, I have no idea why the term "Fat head" was given to this dough, unless it is made mostly from cheese which has a lot of fat in it, but this dough is perfect for people who follow a low carb or Keto food plan. For the Pizza dough recipe, there is no egg added, though some people might want to.  I say no, follow this recipe, and it will be less sticky and much easier to work with.   It is  very low carbs, especially compared to regular pizza dough in fact, it is only 2g of carbs if you slice your pizza for serving 8. (8 slices)

Katies Thin Crust Pizza using Fat Head Pizza Dough
(The Best Low-Carb Pizza Crust)

INGREDIENTS: 

  • 1 & 1/2  Cup Almond Flour (Costco)
  • 4 Cups grated Mozzarella cheese (Costco)
  • 4 Tablespoons cream cheese (Costco)
  • 3/4 teaspoon Salt (Costco)
DIRECTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to  350 degrees .  Cut 3 sheets of parchment paper large enough to cover the baking sheet you will use.  
  2. In a microwavable glass bowl, add both cheeses, and heat for one minute on high.  Turn and heat one more minute to melt the cheese.  This will be enough time, and it won't get so hot, it will be hard to work with. 
  3. Stir to blend cheese into a sticky ball of dough.  Sprinkle the Almond flour and salt on top of the dough and begin working it into the dough until it is well incorporated.  May take about 4 minutes or so.  Yes, it will be sticky, but less sticky after adding the flour.
  4. Split the dough in two pieces, and set one of those dough balls on a piece of parchment paper.  Place another piece of parchment paper over the top, and roll out to be about 1/4 to a little thicker inches thick.  Don't worry if it isn't perfectly round, and looks a bit skewompus, but no matter, because once you get the toppings on your pizza dough, you will not care what shape it is in.
  5. Remove the top sheet of parchment and set aside to use to roll out your second dough ball. Prick your crust with a fork, and put it in a preheated oven.   Bake for 10 - 11 minutes or until parts of it begins to look pretty and golden.  It will cook some more when you top it and bake, so don't over bake the crust. 
  6. Once done, take out of oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before you begin topping this pizza crust.  Pat yourself on the back for baking such a pretty crust.  It looks yummy, and I had to restrain myself from taking a big bite, or slapping on a dab of butter and having a taste.  I didn't!
  7. Now add the following toppings, or the toppings of your choice, just being careful to not add too many more carbs to your pizza.  It is amazing how little things like peppers have carbs in it that you didn't know about.  Also watch the pizza sauce too.  Load on the Mushrooms because one whole cup of raw mushrooms are only 1g carb, and 12 black olives are also 1 carb.  4 Tablespoons of Cream cheese are 4 carbs and 2 cups part skim Mozzarella are 13 grams.  Add to that your pizza sauce, and as you can see the carbs do add up, however if you consider that the full amount of carbs is divided into 8 slices, then you will see, this pizza, largely due to the low carb crust, is a low carb food you really can eat and enjoy! 
PIZZA TOPPINGS: (all can be purchased from Costco)
  • Pizza Sauce of your choice, or I use Spaghetti sauce.
  • 1/2 lb ground sausage or 4 sausage patties crumbled or sliced into cubes.
  • Pepperoni
  •  1 - 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
  • Parmesan Cheese (to sprinkle)
  • Black olives
  • Mushrooms (1 cup sliced) 
  • 1 Green or red bell pepper chopped
  • 1 Small Onion (chopped and marinated
  • Red chili pepper flakes 
You can go crazy creating just about whatever kind of pizza you like, by changing up the ingredients.  Instead of a Red sauce, try a Alfredo sauce made from canned milk, butter, Parmesan cheese and garlic powder. Top with Chicken, ground chicken or turkey burger, and get creative with the vegetables, but be sure to add them.  Spinach is wonderful with an alfredo base, and so is artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and more.  Just remember that everything you add, will also probably have a few carbs in it, so if you are making this to be low carb, watch what you add.

ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment