Sunday, January 20, 2019

Katie's Spicy dough (Who loves Pizza?)

Katie's Spicy Pizza dough recipe

 Maybe instead of asking who loves pizza, I should ask, "Who doesn't love pizza?"  It has become the all american food, besides hamburgers and hotdogs.  Sadly, pizza now days has so many carbohydrates in the crust, that unless you can tolerate lots of Carbs and tons of calories, you just have to limit yourself!  Actually, this is what I use to think, and when I got diabetes, I was so sad because I knew that Pizza was not a food I could partake of much.  BUT, and this is a really big BUT, you can have it, like the old saying goes.... "You can have your cake and eat it too!"  Relating to pizza, "You can have your Pizza and eat it too!"



Not long after I began cooking Keto, I found some really great options for making low carb pizza crust.  I use to think, why bother, they low carb is icky and it won't taste like the Pizza I am use to and probably contributed to helping me to become diabetic.  Nope, I just won't try low carb, until today, actually in a manner of speaking.  Not really today but within the last 6 months, I started hearing about people making dough for all kinds of bread replacements.  I heard of Keto Dough, Keto Pizza dough, Keto Rolls, Keto this and that.  Who in their right mind would make dough out of Mozzarella cheese and Almond Flour?  First off, when cheese melts, it gets all gooey and stretchy and stringy, and there is no way to make that be dough.  Not so folks, by adding the right other ingredients, you can make a really great dough, that tricks your mind into thinking it is the dough you use to eat that was so full of carbs you were high for hours afterwards.

Pizza dough has changed, and I found a basic recipe for a Pizza dough that I tweaked quite a bit to suit my taste...in fact this dough recipe can not only be used for Pizza crust, but for bread sticks, crackers, soft taco shells, burritos and more.  It is so tasty, I bet you do what me and my husband did the first time I made it, and kept cutting slices to taste, and adding a thin slice of butter on top.  It was just so good, we ate the whole thing before we got to make our pizza.

I want to share this recipe with you, so you too can be on your way to enjoying a more healthy pizza.  So what does this have to do with shopping at Costco?  Every one of the ingredients can be purchased at Costco, instead of having to go to another store.  I love that so much, and even though you are buying in larger quantity at Costco, that means you will have more ingredients to make your delicious pizza over and over.  I will also test out how freezing works with this dough and report back at another date.  I use to use Rhodes bake and serve bread dough for my pizza crust, and would bake up a whole bunch of crusts, and sometimes even add the other ingredients, so all I had to do was heat up the ready made pizzas.  I don't know how freezer stable this recipe is, so eventually I will test it and report back my findings.  In the mean time, how would you like to have my delicious pizza Crust recipe?  VERY LOW Carbs, and very tasty?  You got it... it's sharing time! (by the way, this recipe is keto friendly but anyone can make it who wants to enjoy homemade pizza without all the carbs.

Katie's Spicy dough
(makes one pizza, large enough for 4 big slices)

1 3/4 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese (Costco)
2 Generous Tablespoons Philadelphia Cream Cheese (Costco)
3/4 Cup Almond Meal (Costco)
1 Pinch Italian Seasoning (Costco)
1 Pinch Garlic Power not Garlic Salt (Costco)
1 Pinch crushed Chili peppers (Costco)

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Add Mozzarella and Philadelphia cream cheese to a microwave safe bowl, and melt for about a minute, or until melted. Stir with a spoon, and then wait for 5 minutes to cool.  Once it's cool enough to touch, add the Almond Meal, seasoning and spices, and mix and knead with your hands.  I might add that in some recipes that are similar to mine, they add an egg to the dough, but I don't think it needs it. If you want to add one egg, feel free but be prepared for really sticky dough.  You will need to add a little more Almond meal to get it to not be so sticky.  
  2. On a piece of parchment paper that matches the size of the baking pan you will be using, roll out the dough on the parchment.  It won't look perfect or even round, mor oblong to fit the pan, but that is one of the great things about home cooking.  Roll it pretty think, but if the edges look too thin, push them back a little to thicken them, so they don't burn.  
  3. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for about 8 minutes.  Keep checking about the 6-7 minute mark to make sure it doesn't burn, but begins to turn golden brown on the edges.  
  4. Cool completely after baking  and before adding the Pizza sauce to make your pizza.

This dough is great, and I sometimes make it for snacking.  I don't always use the same seasonings as in this recipe and sometimes use the following to get other yummy flavors: 
  • Montreal Steak Seasoning (Costco)
  • Taco seasoning 
  • Chili peppers + a few squirts of Tabasco, Louisiana hot sauce (Costco)
  • Parmesan cheese and a pinch of Garlic Powder
  • Parmesan cheese (Costco) and a teaspoon of Onion Flakes
  • PLAIN without any seasonings or herbs.

For making pizza, top with 
  •  Pizza sauce or Spaghetti Sauce (Costco)
  • Mushrooms, Sweet Mini Peppers, Bell Peppers, Spinach, Onion slices (all from Costco)
  • Bottled roasted Red peppers (Costco)
  • Canned Olives (Costco)
  • Mozzarella Cheese, soft or grated (Costco)
  • Parmesan Cheese fresh grated or dried (Costco)
  • Crushed Red chili peppers 
  • Alfredo Sauce 
  • Grilled, rotisserie chicken (Costco)
  • Grilled steak (Costco)
  • Pork Sausage, Bratwurst, Salami (Costco)
  • Ham, Bacon, Turkey bacon or Sausage (Costco)
This dough is also great to make into crackers, or bread sticks, for tortillas, taco shells.  I have found myself cutting it into strips after is has baked, and dipping into Alfredo Sauce, Que so Fresco Cheese sauce, or just adding a thin slice of butter and enjoying that way.  As you can see, this dough is really versatile and I know you can find great ways to use it as well.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment