Thursday, August 1, 2019

Super Bowl Carnita Sliders


A few years ago, I never knew what Pork Carnitas were.  But… one day, I decided to order them at my favorite Mexican Food restaurant, and my taste buds were delighted.  Now, I still order carnitas any time I have opportunity, not just because they taste so good, but because they are a good Keto diet choice, and the basic meat can be used for a variety of meals and menus.  
Barbacoa meat mexico style boiled cow meat  
What are carnitas?  They are braised or roasted pork seasoned with really great spices and when served it is crispened either under the broiler or fry pan.

For Super Bowl, I wanted to make Carnitas without really knowing a specific recipe that would be knock down, drag out, phenomenal, so that all ages of eaters would enjoy them.  I searched and searched recipes and came up with one that has what I feel are the best combination of herbs, spices, and more, to make my own Carnitas really yummy!

Most of the ingredients can be bought at Costco, including the meat, however the specific cut I use, cant be bought at Costco.  Substitutions of Pork roasts can work just as well, however I chose to use pork shoulder or Boston Butt Boneless roasts.  A good Costco Substitution would be Pork Tenderloin, Pork sirloin roasts.  I chose the shoulder or butt, because I think more fat tends to season and add flavor to the meat.  After it is cooked, it can be trimmed and discarded, but especially cooking in a crock pot, I wanted the extra flavor.

Without further ado,  Here is the recipe that I came up with and I was cooking for a crowd, so used two 4 lb. roasts.

Katies Crock Pot  Carnitas

INGREDIENTS:
·         2 Boston Butt or Shoulder Roast (Boneless)
·         2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
·         1 large onion (sliced)
·         2 Oranges (juiced)
·         2 Limes (juiced)
·         1 1/3 Cup Water
·         4 Teaspoons chopped garlic
·         2 (4 oz) mild diced green chilis
·         8 bay leaves
RUB INGREDIENTS:
·         2 Tablespoon Chili powder
·         2 Tablespoon Ancho Chile Pepper
·         2 Tablespoon kosher salt
·         2 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
·         2 teaspoons Course ground pepper
·         3 teaspoons cumin
·         2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves

DIRECRIONS:
1.      Pan prep: In a large cast ironskillet, drizzle Olive oil, then rub inside of pan with the oil.
2.       Mix all Rub spices in a small bowl and blend.  Rub spices evenly over all sides of the roasts.  I cut up my roasts into 4 pieces, and it made it easier to cover with spices.
3.      Heat oil prepped skillet, and add one of the roasts, or 4 pieces.  Brown on all sides of the seasoned roast, then place browned roast chunks into the mixture in the crock pot. 
4.      Set timer for 8 hours and cook on low.  I usually do this in the evening, so by morning I awake to the most glorious aroma, and my roasts are ready to shred. 
5.      Remove roast pieces from the crock pot, and set on a plate or cutting board, ready to shred.  Be sure to keep the juice or liquid!!!
6.      Now you can shred the pork, and put it on a baking sheet.  Broil for about 5 minutes or until it gets crispy.  Now take out of the oven and pour about a quarter cup of the liquid over the Pork, and put back in the oven again.  It is now ready to serve.
7.      The rest of the juice can be served on the side of the Carnitas, if people want to use it to dip.

How do you serve your Carnitas?
  •        Carnitas Nachos w/ Cheese, Pico de guillo or Salsa
  • ·         FrenchsDip Carnita Sandwiches
  • ·         Carnitas with Rice, Beans & Cheese
  • ·         Carnitas Tacos
  • ·         Carnitas Salad w/ sr. cream, Avocados
  • ·         Carnitas Sliders on mini Rolls, slice of cheese and a side of Home made Ranch dip. 


No comments:

Post a Comment